Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Recipe: Cucumber Salsa

I absolutely love cucumbers and Southwest flavors; so when I stumbled upon a cucumber salsa recipe, I had to make it. Like, yesterday. I can honestly say that I use every ingredient in this dish on a regular basis, so I knew it'd be a home run.



This is how I made it (as always, I'm an on-the-fly kind of cook, so I never measured. These are all approximations):

CUCUMBER SALSA:

3 large English hothouse cucumbers, diced (3-pack from Costco julienned with a mandolin, and then the strips were diced)
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro (I like a lot of cilantro, so keep that in mind)
1/4 bunch chopped parsley
1/2 c low-fat sour cream (I'm going to try it with greek yogurt next time)
1/2 red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced (I like a lot of garlic, too)
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon
1/8 tsp ground coriander (can be omitted)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8-1/4 tsp ground cayenne
Fresh cracked pepper to taste (approx. 1/2 tsp)
Kosher salt to taste (approx. 1/4 tsp)

Yield: About 5 cups of deliciousness

We forgot to grab a jalapeƱo at the store, so I added the chili powder and cayenne for a little bit of kick. You can also add diced tomatoes, if that's your thing. I personally don't like them.

I tossed everything together at one time, no need for separate bowls. Ain't nobody got time for that. The salsa kept beautifully for 2 days in the fridge before it was all gobbled up, and I'm guessing it could've made it another day or 2.

This recipe brought me to tears. No, really! That onion was the most potent one I've ever encountered. But seriously, this is SO good. I'll be making it year-round.

Recipe Adapted From Here

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I have never seen a cucumber salsa before.

    ReplyDelete