Friday, May 18, 2012

Lovely Lady Lumps

Let me preface this by stating that I am absolutely fine.

I haven't shared this with anyone except for a small handful of people, but 5 weeks ago, I came across a lump in my breast. I've been doing self-exams for some time to familiarize myself with what things should feel like. There is a strong history of breast cancer, and cancer in general on both sides of my family, so I've always wanted to be pro-active about such things.

I made an appointment with my OB/GYN for May 11th for a check-up and breast exam. My doctor didn't feel any unusual lumps, but referred me for a mammogram and ultrasound to make sure everything was all right. Being that I'm not yet 29, I'm not a normal candidate for either procedure. Typically, mammograms aren't recommended until 40.

My appointment was this morning at the Breast Health Clinic. I kept pretty calm about the whole thing all week. My biggest concern was how much the mammogram would hurt. The receptionist last week told me that times have changed, and it doesn't feel like it used to - and not to worry. Well, I took her advice. Normally I'm a worrier and a daydreamer of all things that might go wrong. But, I didn't worry, or dwell on it. And let me tell you this: mammograms AIN'T NO THANG.

After the first image was done, I said "wait... was that it?" Seriously, it didn't hurt in the slightest. Sure, I don't have gigantic breasts, so that might be part of it. But it's really just a slight pressure for a few seconds. NICE.

"Is it a girl or a boy?"

Immediately following the mammogram was an ultrasound for each breast. Not exactly what I pictured for my first ultrasound, but hey, things happen. "Is it a girl or a boy?" I asked the technician. She laughed, and then I realized she probably gets that a lot. No one likes hearing the same dumb things while they're on the job. Trust me, I know.

This whole process took about 10 minutes. Then, the technician left so she could get the results from the radiologist and I could clean myself up and get dressed.

I waited no more than 10 minutes to find out that everything came back normal, and no other tests would be needed. I'll just need to keep an eye on the things, and if nothing changes, I won't need another mammogram until I reach 40.

That couldn't have gone any better, and I'm so glad to have peace of mind now. Everything is gonna be all right.


  1. I'm so glad you are ok! Way to be proactive. I am getting close to my first mamogram and it's good to hear it's not as bad as it used to be.

    1. Thank you! I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure.

      And I also wanted to post this so people who read it aren't afraid to get one!