Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sunshine On My Shoulders

There's just something about the Pacific Northwest when the sky is blue, the birds are chirping, and the warmth of the sun hits your body. It's pretty much ALL people can talk, or think about.

When I was almost 9, my family moved to the Seattle area from Southern California. I didn't handle it well at all, and that was when my history of depression really began. Mostly, because of the lack of sunshine. People who aren't sun-starved probably think it's a load of bull, but once you experience it, you'll go, "OH." I've been plagued with SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder) for, wow, 21 years. (I just realized that we moved on this very date - May 4th.) 

For some reason, this past winter wasn't as bad for me as it usually is. Maybe it was because I was pregnant, or maybe I'm just getting over it, ever-so-slowly. But it doesn't mean that I get any less excited for impending sunshine and warmth.

I've been seriously dancing in anticipation of this week's weather (70-80 degree temperatures for DAYS & DAYS & DAYS). It just makes my soul feel good. It's getting me excited for summer, when I'll introduce my little guy to swimming, and I can only hope it brings him as much joy as it does to me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to head back outside to soak up this gorgeous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment